Wednesday, August 29, 2018

An Open Letter to Louis C K

Dear Louis,

I don't know you, I know your work.   You have always been funny and intellectually stimulating in your humor.  I sometimes had questions about the direction you took things but comedy should make the audience uncomfortable or at least make us think.  But what you did back stage was atrocious and troubling on many many levels.  You have rightfully been forced in exile in the celebrity world and I believe that you owe a lot more to the women you hurt by your actions then you can ever repay.  Your recent attempt at a comeback makes it seem like you don't understand the severity of your actions and that makes me sad.  The fact that so many people have since tried to justify you coming back also tells me we have a long way to go before we can fully make work places, be they comedy clubs, sound stages or board rooms fully safe for women.  That is something that must change and frankly men need to listen to women on this and then act.

Louis, in the current awakening of so many who are finally seeing the lives that women must endure when they are just trying to earn a living or work their craft I would think that you would have been more sensitive to the issues and pain you had caused.  You always seemed like a nice guy in interviews and there are people who know you that have suggested as much.  You could have reached out to a number of women comics who have been vocal in the #metoo movement or just wise women who have lived through the evolution of women in comedy.  You could have spoken to up-and-coming woman comics who are struggling with the sexism and sexual harassment that exists in so many industries but still lives in the late-night clubs in big cities and small towns.  You could have talked to a councilor who could explain the trauma you may have caused the women whom you violated by your actions and the extent of that trauma that was visited on other women who felt betrayed by you.  Surprising, when you walked off the public scene you said, "I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen."  I am not sure who you listened to but coming back as you did and not addressing the issues that had you leave was not what smart people would tell you.

Look I know, I am just one person who used to call myself a  fan.  I don't have pull to help or hurt your career.  I write a blog that less than 100 people read.  In fact you will likely never see this.  But it makes me feel better to have written it.  You see men like you have made women on edge around so many men and all men are suspects.  Your lack of contrition and now your attempting to return in the hopes that many will forgive and forget is like continuing to assault the women and build barriers to their career. 

Look it isn't simple, it shouldn't be.  If you are suffering in your exile then that is just.  I am also a Jew who believes in T'shuvah, especially this time of year.  But asking forgiveness requires that you make up for the actions that caused others pain and strive to never make the same mistake again.  There are people who might be able to get you there.  Reach out to them.  But until that time popping up in places to perform because you need to do it is just not how to do it.  Please stop and please get help. 

No comments:

The Eclipse Is Bringing Back Memories of My Dad

In less than a day Indianapolis will be in the path of totality for a solar eclipse.  There has been a great deal of hype for this around he...